Monday 1 October 2012

Jam-filled butter cookies recipe

I tried making some meringue biscuits the other day, unsuccessfully (cause I did not know I must leave them in the oven overnight and all) so I was left with a lot of egg yolks. Me being me feels that throwing them away is a waste when I can reuse them. However, eating so much egg yolks on my own feels a lil unhealthy too so I searched around for some recipes online for some inspiration and decided to do a jam-filled cookies reason being I have all the ingredients on hand. :D

My hopeful looking meringue biscuits which ended up a disappointment :(

I am posting this recipe as my own as I modified most of the recipe I obtained into my own to fit all my current available ingredients and ended up with pretty short and crumbly cookies which IMO are nyummy albeit a little impossible to pipe unlike if you follow the online recipes. I think... :P

Ingredients:
1) 200g butter (I just use salted ones)
2) 5 small egg yolks
3) A pinch of double acting baking powder (Just baking powder will be fine)
4) 1/2 cup sugar (Using cup now cos I just got a new measuring cup!)
5) 2 cups all purpose flour
6) Chivers strawberry jam
7) A dash of vanilla essence

Method:
1) Heat up oven to 180 degree Celsius. 
2) Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3) Add the yolks and vanilla until incorporated.
4) Add in sifted flour and baking powder until you get a rather pliable dough. 
5) Using your hands, scoop out about small grab of dough and roll them into long fat sticks before using a spoon just portioned them out and roll into balls. Place all the balls onto baking trays and using your finger, poke a indention onto all of them in the middle. It's so so easy. I don't see the need to chill the dough before doing this part as advised by a lot of recipes if you have to work with the dough using hand. 
6) Fill up the indent with jam (Not too much as they will overflow in the oven). I put in the jam and baked them together with the cookies because the Chivers jam is rather liquidish IMO and not dried like some of the jam you can do yourself. I would love to put in my homemade pineapple jam which is a lot dryer but I am lazy to do so and this way, I would save up a lot more time. :P I think you can fill in the jam after you bake the cookies but I just like having my jam slightly browned on top :P
7) Anyway, moving on...Just bake for about 10-15 minutes depending on the size of the cookies until golden brown.
Before
After
Tadaaa!


Variation:
~A few spots of green colouring
~A generous splash of peppermint essence

I actually separated like 1/3 of the dough and turned them into peppermint cookies. They are actually pretty good as well but I eyeballed the extra ingredients.
1) Just stir in the extra ingredients into the dough and make little balls like above but instead of a thumb-print, I used a fork to give them a different design and also cos I'm not putting any jam in them as well.

Before
After...pardon the rough looking sugar..I used a new brand super coarse sugar cos I couldn't find my usual and they look this way after...surprisingly the jam filled one didnt show :S

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...