Sunday 3 July 2016

Bacon and Tomato Quiche Recipe

For the crust, I pre-made them when I was making my apple pie the other day. To get the recipe for the crust, refer HERE

You can make the crust earlier or on the day itself. Earlier would means preparing the crust in the pie-tin or relevant containers and covering them up with aluminium foil in the fridge until needed. I made these a few days ago and they seemed to taste better after a few days in the fridge probably because I made the crust a little too wet from too much milk for my pie previously and their time in the fridge just dry out the crust properly to the correct texture. LOL. If you made the crust properly, make sure you seal them to ensure they don't dry out too much.

For the filling, I used a few simple ingredients only.

Ingredients:
3 eggs (large)
1/2 cup full fat milk
1 big onion  (cut into thin rings)
6 slices of streaky bacon (chopped)
2 medium tomato (sliced)
3 slices of processed cheddar (You could probably use grated cheese but I do not have them)
A small handful of fresh sweet basil (I do not have dried ones and I have fresh ones growing) or 1 tsp of dried basil
A tsp of dried thyme
Pinch of salt and pepper

Method:
1) Bake the crust at 190-200degrees Celsius for about 10 minutes. Not ncessary to brown them. If you have weights, place them on baking sheet in the crust to prevent uneven crusts. Otherwise, I think the rustic look works fine especially for home-cooks. PS: Remember to prick your crust before baking them or if you prepared them ahead of time, prick them before freezing them.
2) Heat up wok/pan. Without using any oil, put all the chopped bacon inside and brown them slightly. Add the onions and stir well until both are nicely golden brown.
3) Remove from heat.
4) Beat up the eggs and milk together with salt, pepper and thyme. Add the dried basil here if you are using it but if fresh basil are used, sprinkle over the quiche later.
5) Line the bottom of the pie crust with cheese and pour the egg mixture over it.
6) Top with sliced tomatoes and sprinkle the fresh basil leaves over them.
7) Bake for 30-45 minutes (until toothpick came out clean) at 190degrees.

Excuse my rather clumsy looking crust as they are from leftover pie crusts used in another recipe

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...