Friday 11 September 2015

Haedong Yonggungsa Temple - A Review

Haedong Yonggung Temple is one of the few Buddhist temple in Busan that is located right next to the sea. Its picturesque view is definitely worth the hike up the hill. By the time we reached the temple I was already huffing and puffing. Since it was winter, the bitter chill that engulfed us despite my thick winter jacket did little to encourage my enthusiasm. There were lots of stalls lining up the climb upwards selling all sort of knick-knacks.


The temple is actually dedicated to the female Buddhist Goddess of Mercy if my understanding of all the various texts and articles circulating this temple is correct. It was believed that she came to this area where the temple was built upon on a dragon and brought rain to the water-deprieved land.


You will see a statue of the dragon I mentioned later on in the temple nearby the cliff.



During the walk/climb up, you will notice all the statues of the chinese zodiacs lining the path. The stone works are pretty unique and we stopped to take some photos (It's more of a break to rest for me!)



Other stone work would include these adorable elephants..



If you see here, the main gateway to enter the temple has decorations of lion statues guarding the sides. There are a total of four and believed to symbolize joy, anger, sorrow and bliss.


Then there are beautiful gold-themed dragons decorating more archways leading up to the main temple.



The main highlights for visiting this temple to me is probably to check out these views. Aren't these just amazing?

 
The other must-do on this tour of the attraction would be to go down the 108-steps, to get a nearer view of the ocean and also, the carvings and statues along the way. Pause and just enjoy the fresh air + beautiful sights before going on your steps up or down when you are out of breath.


 I will conclude this post with a happy smiling Buddha and also another perfect-as-a-picture view from the temple. :)


For more on my trip to Korea, check out my first day itinery HERE.
And my photos and review of Busan Aquarium HERE which I went before Haedong Yonggungsa Temple. I would suggest going there as both attractions are in the same area; or rather close proximity.

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...